Optica: Increasing organic traffic for East Africa’s biggest opticians
When Optica approached us in November, their goal was clear: heighten their online visibility, increase traffic, and boost keyword rankings.
We crafted a tailored strategy, guiding them through the digital landscape step by step. The result? A stronger brand presence and impressive results. Let’s go.
Who is Optica?
Since 1959, Optica has stood strong as a key player in eye care. They’ve been curating the coolest frames from global brands and delivering personalised services through their skilled eye care professionals. Their mission is all about offering top-notch products and services without skimping on quality or affordability.
Their ambition? To become the go-to optical care provider in East Africa. With both an online and in-store presence you can find them in multiple locations spread across Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda.
In November 2021, Optica approached us with a clear ambition: to enhance its online presence, increase organic traffic, and elevate its keyword ranking for transactional search terms.
They were seeking a holistic strategy to not only boost their visibility but also solidify their brand’s digital authority.
We kicked off with a solid project plan – no rocket science, just smart strategy.
We broke it down into clear steps, all aimed at tackling the digital world intricacies and guiding Optica to their goals. This included:
We embarked on our journey by conducting a thorough technical audit of Optica’s online platform. Identifying opportunities for optimisation, we assigned technical tasks and collaborated closely with the client’s developers.
Our SEO team carefully inspected the implementation working alongside Optica’s internal web development team, ensuring precision and efficacy.
To conquer the world of search rankings, we dove into an extensive keyword research process. This involved evaluating existing content, enhancing on-page SEO elements such as meta tags and headers, and orchestrating keyword optimisation within the content itself.
We identified pages that could be created or improved to incorporate high-potential keywords, resulting in a surge of organic traffic.
Optica’s digital authority was solidified through an insightful link audit, comparing their metrics with those of their competitors. Our outreach initiatives fostered connections between their online and in-person brand, amplifying brand awareness.
The optimisation of local search, in conjunction with meticulous local page optimisation, catapulted their rankings and facilitated broader market penetration.
Results Speak Louder Than Words
Now you know the blueprint, let’s take a look at the visual results. In the upcoming screenshots, we’ll break down the outcomes of our work with Optica. From increased organic traffic to improved keyword rankings, these visuals provide a straightforward look at the impact of our collaboration.
Here’s the proof in pictures – our hard work paid off big time. Look at how organic traffic skyrocketed from November 2022 to June 2023, leaving the past behind.
Increase in Organic Traffic:
A staggering 47.44% upsurge in organic traffic since our collaboration began, measured against the previous year’s performance.
Organic keywords for the Kenyan market:
Our hard work paid off as we saw a big change in how keywords ranked. What used to be fixed in place is now full of potential:
- We went from 212 to 419 total keywords, a remarkable 97.6% increase in just 7 months.
- 567 keywords now sit in the top 10 spots.
Examples of keywords, and how rankings improved
Optica Google Ads
The client’s local strategy just wasn’t hitting the mark. When we dug into their account, it was pretty clear that they weren’t making the most of their branch location assets in their campaigns.
In addition to a weak strategy, there was a looming issue of bid cannibalisation because multiple campaigns were all bidding for the same keywords.
Another challenge was that the account’s search strategy was all about organising campaigns based on product and gender categories, which added an additional layer of complexity.
- Those local campaigns they had going? Well, they were set to be discontinued not long after we teamed up with Optica. So, no long-term fixes there.
- Google decided to shake things up with a Location Extensions update, making them trickier to access through the extensions tab.
- And lastly, the tracking for Appointment Booking conversions was outdated and broken.
Google Ads: Strategy
In our quest to enhance the overall performance, we took a multi-faceted approach, dividing our efforts into two key areas: Search and Local.
Here’s how we tackled each of them:
- We revamped our search campaigns by focusing on keywords with a strong track record. We expanded our keyword groups to align with current trends and user searches.
- Rather than categorising campaigns by product or gender, which wasn’t working well, we switched to intent-based categorisation for better targeting.
- We also introduced negative keyword lists to filter out irrelevant impressions and refine our ad targeting.
- We addressed location extension issues, adapting to Google’s changes by transforming them into location assets.
- We optimised location targeting, avoiding overlap with negative location targeting.
- We made a significant shift by adopting Performance Max campaigns, overhauling our local strategy for scalability.
- We improved our ad content with compelling calls-to-action.
Results: Quarter 1
After the initial 3 months since Minty took over the Optica Google Ads account, we saw results including:
- 515%+ increase in conversions
(Jan 2023- March 2023 ) compared to the previous Quarter
- decrease in cost per conversion by 82%
- decrease in cost by 13%
Results: Quarter 2
During the 2nd Quarter, we cranked things up a notch. We kept a close eye on our KPIs, ditching what wasn’t delivering results, and at the same time, we jumped on the opportunity to expand our keywords into emerging search trends that were highly relevant. Results included:
- further increase in conversions by +412% (1st April 2023 – 30th June 2023 compared to the previous 3 months)
- even lower cost per conversion by another 80%
- even lower avg cost-per-click by 13%
Grab yourself a coffee, let’s have a chat.
Fill in your details and one of the team will get back to you.
If you prefer to book a call direct, then use the link below ⬇️